25 August 2009

Argue a point of view/ Describe characteristics

Some people want to attend a small college. Other people think that it is better to attend a large university. Which type of school do you prefer? Why? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Without hesitation I can say I’d much rather go to a large (and preferably prestigious) university than a small college when I study my master’s degree. All of my life I’ve been sheltered, first in a small high-school where I graduated with approximately 20 other students, and then in a faculty that not only had just above 1000 people who not necessarily were aware of each other’s existence, but it was located in the top floor of a 4 stories building, isolated from the rest of the university and from students of other careers. It’s important to say that in my major we tended to work in groups, but almost always with the same members and aside from your friends that belonged to your generation you never had to interact with anyone outside of it. Besides, in other aspects of my life I’m very protected from disturbances or novelty: I have a small group of 4 or 5 friends who I hang out with; my nuclear family doesn’t get along very well with other relatives, and I’m sure all of that has had a deep effect on my personality. I can admit to have some degree of intolerance towards what we could call “alternative” lifestyles, such as not having studies or work-related goals, and from my part I’ve always had those kind of aspirations without ever considering other options; it’s not like I had a different kind of role model to follow. This is why I think a big university would be good for me, I would be exposed to people from all over the world, with different cultures I could learn from, thus having a deeper compassion and tolerance with persons who choose different things from the ones I want. In such environments it would be a challenge to stand out from the great students because they would be numerous, but it would be a fun challenge nonetheless. And finally, just going outside of my comfort zone would force me to view my life in a completely different way than I do now. College is supposed to do that.

Some students in the United States work while they are earning their degrees. Others receive support from their families. Which arrangement do you agree with? Why? Use specific reasons and example to support your opinion.

Working during the years you’re studying can have huge advantages later on life, but at the time it can be very difficult and exhausting. Work takes away not only a great portion of every day, but also of the amount of energy a person has. If you have to study after you get home from your job you will not have the same performance as if you didn’t have other distractions. The only way to endure such work and study load is with great motivation that no a lot of people have nowadays. But at the same time your work experience will certainly improve you CV, and some say that the best way to get a job is having worked before: you gain maturity and therefore are a better employee. If you’re lucky maybe you’ll keep the same job after you graduate and won’t have to experience the horrendous pressure of looking for one.

On the other hand, being supported while you study can seem pretty easy, and let’s face it: it is. You are 100% focused on your classes; you’ll have more time to prepare for tests not only with the material given during the lessons but from outside resources, therefore having better grades. If some free time comes along then so does the opportunity for a healthy and better lifestyle, with time for practicing sports, reading, attending cultural events or just relaxing. And this too will improve you grades. But for me the most important thing is that people who don’t work graduate in less time than their fellow working schoolmates. During my undergraduate studies I was supported by my parents but it’s important to say I had that choice because I was in a public college and I could afford it. But now that I’m looking to get my master’s degree I have to either get a scholarship or get a student job if I want to study outside of my country because it’s more expensive. The truth is I wouldn’t decline paternal financial support if I knew they could provide it, but I have to look for other possibilities.

What are the important qualities of a good teacher? Use specific reasons and examples to explain why these qualities are important.

A great teacher can be described by two major aspects: his academic qualities and his human ones. Academically speaking a great teacher has to be disciplined, and that implies being everyday for class and showing up on time, therefore demonstrating that he’s a reliable person. He has to be coherent and focused with the lessons and not get distracted talking nonsense about other topics: I’ve had teachers who spent 35 of a 50 minutes class blabbering about something that didn’t relate to the course; it was boring and frustrating. That doesn’t mean that he ought to be military-like, unreachable and fear-inspiring; he should be respectful but also amicable so that students can approach him with their doubts and questions. In fact, he has to have a connection with his students that allow them to feel comfortable around him, not becoming a buddy who goes to parties with them, but at least knowing their names and expectations of the class. I think it’s very important that he tries different teaching methods and techniques so his courses are never dull and so he can get as many people as possible to understand him. But it is essential that a good teacher is also a role model for his students, first with the passion for the subjects he teaches. If he is not enthusiastic about his class it will be a burden, just a requisite but never a pleasure to study and learn about. He has to be honest and ethical enough not to test with exercises or questions he didn’t explain or told to review. And finally he has to have inspiring qualities that transcend the academics; he has to be able to motivate his pupils so they become better persons when they see glimpses in him of something they could aspire to grow up to be later in life.

Post a Comment